08 November 2013

Nutty about Snack Time: The Benefits of Nuts


I'm getting better and better about making healthy choices throughout the day when it comes to what I put into my body. It's not just about a balanced meal, its also making better snack choices and drinking water. The old me has a stash of Pringles and leftover halloween candy safe for rummaging when my restless tastes buds get to watering. Now I'm opting for better choices like Pistachios! They are so yummy and high in monounsaturated fats (good fat). I recommend keeping a pack in your purse instead of gum or candy. It's more fulfilling and for sure healthier.  




Salted Almonds, Pistachios and Honey Roasted Cashews I've kept by my work station


You can read more about the benefits of Nuts here like I did on Women's Health Mag.

I also found it interesting that the FDA is is moving to ban trans fats aka hydrogenate oil from all foods. This is found in almost every kind of buttery, canned or sweet food in the grocery store. FDA commissioner Margaret Hamburg stated, "There really is no safe level of consumption of trans fat". Trans fats are link to heart disease and raising cholesterol. Sheesh! Happy to see we will soon have the real healthy options, not just the illusion. 

source: USA TODAY

No comments:

Post a Comment