08 November 2013

For The 19 Year Old Black Girl That Didn't Like Her Name



I first read about this story two days ago after clicking on a Huffington post link. Keisha (now Kylie) Austin resides in Kansas, MO with her mom Cristy in what they describe as a predominantly white community. Having a biracial daughter, Cristy wanted to do her daughter a service by naming her Keisha. She felt her little girl would feel more connected to her black side and even went on to say she thought the name represented a "strong, feminine, beautiful black woman."


Over time Keisha faced bullying and the stereotypes that came with having an "ethic" name and asked her mom for money to legally change it to Kylie. Her mom complied and since Kylie as become some what of a poster story for the outcome of bullying and self love in the black community. Huffington Post writer , expressed her dismay with Kylie's decision to change her birth name in an open letter stating:  

It pains me to see you distance yourself from the very culture that contributed to your existence. You say your former name did not feel "comfortable" and you were unable to "connect to it." My question to you is have you ever tried? 

I agree with Chevonne. My name is Aiesha, and folks have had plenty to say to me directly over the years. "You don't look or act like an 'Aiesha'", completely disregarding how this statement made me feel. Regardless of how u perceive me, I am Aiesha. Aiesha is everything I give to you, so if you had another impression, now you know what an Aiesha is. This was my attitude. 

I can't say I know what it's like to grow up in a small mostly white community. I grew up in Jamaica, Queens. The closest I can relate to her is in my later years working for white managers who confused my cramp days with having a hostile attitude. I interned at a finance company and the 2nd day the broker I answered phones for asked me to introduce myself as "Alicia". It was my last day.

In a related story on ABC, a man name Kim who searched for jobs got rejections after 4 months of applications and then added the title "Mr." to his name, receiving job offers. Sounds like too many coincidences to me. How progressive is America really?

No comments:

Post a Comment